The International Action Network for Gender Equity & Law (IANGEL) is looking for an Executive Director (ED) to guide, shape, and grow this dynamic women’s rights nonprofit. The ideal candidate will have prior nonprofit leadership and fundraising experience, legal training or experience working with lawyers, exceptional organizational and communications skills, and the ability to work effectively with the legal and human rights communities.
The ED will work with our active Board of Directors on strategic planning and execution of our vision for growth as we move into our sixth year in 2018. Duties include responsibility for IANGEL’s program and management, maintaining and building connections with partner organizations and our network of volunteer legal resources, maintaining and expanding our work on women’s rights projects, deepening engagement with law firms and pro bono counsel, and creating, managing, and executing an effective strategy for development and communications.
Founded in 2013, IANGEL is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, dedicated to harnessing the power of pro bono legal services and connecting it to the cause of gender equality and justice. We operate by mobilizing our legal network to provide pro bono legal services to organizations, communities, and individuals locally, nationally, and around the world. IANGEL is a cutting-edge organization, expanding the concept of pro bono work to secure human rights for women and girls through pro bono legal services, research and analysis, education, and advocacy. IANGEL is based in the San Francisco Bay area, with board members in five states, and a network of project partner organizations and volunteers extending across the United States and around the world.
Build and Sustain Programmatic Work (70%)
The ED will manage all IANGEL operations, ensuring IANGEL maintains and deepens engagement within the legal community, and connects effectively with volunteers and project partners to accomplish its mission.
- Serve as chief strategist, in close coordination with the Board, for maintaining and developing partnerships with law firms, businesses, international organizations, and NGOs to advance the IANGEL mission;
- Develop, plan and execute programs, including projects with domestic and international partner organizations, special events, and co-sponsored events;
- Identify, establish, maintain, and deepen relationships with law firms and legal pro bono coordinators;
- Develop and execute key metrics for evaluating and deepening impact to promote gender equality;
- Actively engage, coordinate, and energize IANGEL’s volunteers, partner organizations, board members, and funders.
Coordinate and Supervise Development and Communications (15%)
The ED will develop, implement, and manage IANGEL’s development and communications efforts.
- Manage all aspects of development, including efforts to diversify funding streams, grant writing and reporting, individual fundraising campaigns, corporate partnerships and donor stewardship;
- Develop and execute an updated communications strategy across multiple platforms including social media, and outreach packages for various audiences;
- Manage communications with existing donors, and create and implement a plan to grow our donor and volunteer base;
Management and Governance (15%)
The ED will be the primary liaison with the Board of Directors, and will oversee management of the organization.
- Serve as ex-officio member of Board of Directors
- Organize Board activities and meetings in collaboration with the President and/or Executive Committee
- Ensure effective management of the annual budget and be accountable for expenditures on an ongoing basis
- Report on programs, finances, and operations, and present key decisions for Board consideration at monthly board meeti
- Ensure smooth and efficient administrative operations, including budget and financial systems, record keeping, database management, and correspondence with donor
- Hire and supervise additional staff, as resources permit
- Meet regularly with the President and/or other Board members on strategy, priorities, and progr
The ED must be thoroughly committed to IANGEL’s mission, and have keen ability to lead and execute strategic planning and relationship management. Qualifications include:
- Prior management or leadership experience with the ability to set and achieve strategic objectives, manage a budget, and grow a nonprofit
- Background in law and women’s rights work, connections within the legal community, and understanding of law firm environments and pro bono legal services
- Strong public relations, marketing, and/or fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders; experience with major donors and donor database a plus
- Rigorous organizational skills, adaptable, and versatile
- Enthusiasm for building a global legal network to protect and promote women’s rights
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal skills
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation
- Ability to manage diverse support relationships, and collaborate effectively with lawyers and activists
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude; mission-driven and self-directed
- Strong tech skills, with the capacity to quickly learn and manage new system Experience with WordPress and Neon database a plus.
Flexible Workplace and Benefits
This is a full-time position based in the San Francisco Bay area, workplace is flexible, and salary is negotiable, depending on skills, experience, and benefits required. We provide accrued paid time off and holidays, and health care coverage is available. IANGEL is an equal opportunity employer. Qualified applicants are considered for employment without regard to age, race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, disability, or veteran status.
Please send cover letter, resume, and references to firstname.lastname@example.org and reference 2018 ED Job in the subject line. Please let us know what would make you an exceptional candidate for the position, and what about IANGEL’s mission resonates with you. Priority will be given to resumes received by October 31, 2017, and expected start date will be January 1, 2018.